Category Archives: Routine Check-Ups
The New Year is traditionally the time to make your resolutions and decide what you are going to focus on changing in the coming months. Even if it is mid January already, it’s still not too late to make a change and set yourself in a better direction. For many, the New Year is all about becoming better and stronger, with many resolutions based on achieving more in life. With this comes a need to boost your confidence – and your teeth are a great place to start!
1. Book and keep our dental appointments
If you skipped or put off your visits to the dentist last year, you are not alone. A large number of people, for various reasons, do not see the dentist as regularly as they should and some don’t see the dentist at all. Leaving it too late means you can miss out on the chance for early intervention to prevent common dental problems, leading to painful and costly dental surgery being needed in some cases.
Whether it’s fear, time or anything else that’s keeping you away from your dentist, a quick look at some of the most recent facts and figures will quickly show you why you should pick up the phone and call your practice today:
- Over 60% of the population now visit the dentist regularly. This represents a great improvement over the last thirty years, but still means that nearly 40% don’t book a regular appointment – Don’t be one of them…
- Tooth decay is known to affect over 30% of adults today, but with swift intervention can often be effectively treated. Without intervention, it can lead to more serious problems and ultimately the loss of teeth.
- 66% of adults have visible plaque and report that it affects their confidence.
- Almost half the population are unhappy with their teeth, the most common reason being discolouration. Again, this is recognised as having a major impact on confidence.
It is also worth remembering that a routine dental appointment is also the best way to check for early signs of mouth cancer, which is now fast becoming one of the leading cancers in the UK.
2. Brush your teeth the right way
If you already brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes, then give yourself a pat on the back. But even if you do, we can all improve our brushing to be even more effective. Visiting your dental hygienist is the best way to get up to date and personalised information on how best to brush your teeth, but there are also some general guidelines that apply to all. Making sure you always brush before bed is very important to avoid your teeth having prolonged exposure to acid overnight. It is also important to make sure you give your teeth a deep clean covering every angle, and not just a superficial brush of the visible surfaces.
If you don’t always brush your teeth on a regular basis, you are not alone according to the latest figures:
- Up to a quarter of adults fail to brush their teeth twice a day – increasing their risk of tooth decay by 33%
- Up to 10% of adults regularly forget to brush their teeth
- More than 75% of adults have never flossed
Despite there being various opinions on the value of flossing over recent months, the general advice from the British dental bodies is that it still remains an effective tool in keeping teeth healthy – although supplementing your regular brush with interdental brushes can be more effective.
3. Restore your teeth with cosmetic dentistry
Despite the name, cosmetic dentistry is not just about looking great – cosmetic dentistry such as implants or bridges and crowns can actually support your dental health by preventing many of the problems that are associated with missing or damaged teeth. This may range from discomfort or embarrassment through to more important oral health issues such as changes in the structure of your jaw, which can lead to further problems.
If you have broken, damaged or missing teeth, why not speak to your dentist today to discuss the options available. With modern dentistry techniques such as those on offer at Wickersley Dental Practice, you might just be surprised at how easy it is to restore your confidence with a healthy, happy smile.
At Wickersley Dental and Implant Practice in Rotherham, our friendly and experienced team are the perfect choice for all your dental needs, from preventative dentistry to cosmetic and restorative treatment. To enquire about becoming a member or book an appointment today, call us on Rotherham 01709 543033 or contact us online and a member of the team will get back to you soon.